Joyful celebration. (More like a wake, not like a funeral)
SIZE AND DESIGN
This ritual is designed for about 40 people. Contains elements of drama and guests were invited to come in black, white, or blues. The could bring drums and shakers and participate in song and music. Jars with beans were provided as extra shakers for those who did not have any.
To honor the element of water, our ancestors, and the great Spirit as the Lord and Lady energy working is in three parts:
- We honor them by offering our voices in song as we Open the way.
- We honor them by retelling of the story of Tam Lin for their pleasure as a bit of ritual theater.
- We honor them by helping ourselves and each other cleanse spiritually during the Angel Wash and when we pour out all the things that need to be let go as we enter a new cycle of the year-wheel.
Entering Space: Samhain Lisa Thiel
Purpose of Ritual: Honor Ancestors with Wishes/Prayers/Performances
Light UU Chalice
Cast the Circle
Call the Elements:
- Song: Behold There Is Magic (call and response style + drumming)
Call the Ancestors:
Call Lord and Lady :
MIDDLE SECTION (ENERGY WORK)
- Opening Prayer: Old Ones Who Grace Our Shrine
- Energy Wave 1: Let the Way Be Open (song + drumming)
- Energy Wave 2:
- Do the Tam Lin Play
- Transition outside with River is Flowing . Guests follow those carrying the ribboned “water” hoop to the courtyard.
- Energy Wave 3: Centering prayer. Moment of silence. Water cauldron emptied. Angel Wash Song (Double lines. Guests walk 2 at a time through the symbolic water hoop)
- Grounding. Closing Prayer and Born of Water to transition back indoors.
- Communion with Ancestors: Cakes and Ale
- Song: I Hear You Calling
Farewell Lord & Lady:
Farewell to Ancestors
Closing the Corners:
- Wings of a Hawk adaptation.
Close the Circle:
Extinguish UU Chalice